[welmac-org] Meeting presentation on iLife 06 and AGM preparation

David Empson dempson at actrix.gen.nz
Sun Feb 26 11:39:53 GMT 2006

At 5:59 PM +1300 26/2/2006, Jo 'Mangee' Booth wrote:
>Hey,
>
>I just realised i've booked in to do the iLife '06 demo (and
>prepared) - but i'm actually in Auckland for work from 7:30 am
>monday till wednesday night.

Oh darn. That complicates things a bit.

>I should remember to activate both work and home iCals at the same
>time... I usually have the work one unselected at home, and the home
>one unselected at work :(  So only just realised it was the same day.
>
>Can you guys do it without me?

We'll have to try. Graeme may have a Keynote presentation on iLife
'06 (he hadn't downloaded it yet when I last spoke to him). I haven't
even seen it (or iLife '06) yet, and I doubt he has either.

I won't have any time to prepare before the meeting - I'm doing my
business accounts now (GST return due on Tuesday, I'll have to finish
it after I get home on Monday night) and still have to look at the
WelMac accounts by Monday lunchtime in case I need Mike to make any
amendments prior to the AGM. There is the small matter of work
tomorrow and sleep soon. :-(

Graeme - any chance of getting that presentation before the meeting,
and popping in to MagnumMac to borrow a copy of iLife?

Also will need printouts of last AGM's minutes plus the two SGM
minutes so they can be accepted by the membership. An agenda for the
AGM can easily be derived from last year's minutes.

>  I'm happy to drop my copy of iLife '06 in if someone wants to demo it..

Difficult now if you are leaving for Auckland at the crack of dawn.
Only place you could reasonably leave it would be at the reception at
my office, and there won't be anyone there that early.

If necessary, we may be able to borrow a demo copy from MagnumMac. I
can get an official demo copy from the Apple Sales Web, but it won't
arrive for a while.

Anyone else in the committe already have iLife '06 and familiar
enough with the changes in any part of it?

>  iPhoto '06's photocasting is pretty cool - and it runs a heck of a
>lot faster with my 30,000 photos. Garageband has a few good bits for
>podcasting too. and iWeb is just cool.  I could possibly do a demo
>in a quicktime movie - but I expect you'll be pushed for time what
>with helpdesk / agm and a demo?

I don't think the quicktime movie demo worked very well last time -
some people appreciated it, but others were just confused. Possibly
related to the way in which it was displayed, with the view following
the mouse cursor it was hard to form a coherent image of the whole
thing.

Assuming a similar demo, it would be a huge movie (bigger than a CD?)
which makes it tricky to "drop off" prior to the meeting.

>I'm happy to remain in the committee / VP if the agm votes that way.

OK

On the subject of Apple Sales Web: I registered for it while at the
committee meeting last week, and the registration has been accepted
but I haven't had time to look into it further yet. In addition to
being able to get demo versions of some Apple software (for a very
cheap price), WelMac may be able to get a free .Mac account (may
require me to complete some Apple sales training courses, which seems
rather silly for user groups). I'll probably need to dedicate an
evening to getting started on this, and I won't have any free
evenings for a few days yet.

--
David Empson
dempson at actrix.gen.nz
Snail mail: P.O. Box 27-103, Wellington, New Zealand