[welmac-org] Committee meeting on Wednesday - live streamed?

David Empson dempson at actrix.gen.nz
Tue Aug 15 07:15:30 BST 2017

Hi folks

We have the rescheduled committee meeting at 22 Park Rd on Wednesday from 8 pm. Andrew confirmed a few days ago that he and Andrea will be able to host us this week but it would be good to get final confirmation.

If OK with everyone who will be attending, and particularly with our hosts, Graeme would like to try a private live stream video of the committee meeting via his YouTube channel.

Graeme will be attending in person to demo the Switcher Studio software on the iPad.

If Jo is available, he could be a test remote attendee (probably need to have a separate audio connection, e.g. Skype but with microphone muted except while talking).

Others who are reading this mailing list (e.g. Dennis?) might be interested in being invited so we can get some feedback on how well it works for remote attendees. It might not work for Don if the client side needs to be a sufficiently modern web browser (Chrome or Firefox might have a better chance than Safari on Snow Leopard).

We might have an issue with Wi-Fi reliability in the dining room. Is it feasible to run an Ethernet cable and set up the club’s Airport Express in the room as a temporary measure?

I like the concept of streaming our meetings, as it opens up the possibility of WelMac being much more useful to those who aren’t able to attend meetings in person, especially those who aren’t even in the Wellington region.

Before making this a regular event it needs to be approved by the committee and I would like to run it past members in advance and get some feedback. I expect there will be significant impact on our meeting structure, e.g. having supper between Q&A and main topic does not work well for live streaming. We (I) would also need to be better organised for the meeting presentation.

There may be some members who are not happy with the idea of being on video, but we may be able to limit the impact by not having a camera facing the audience. My expectation is that it will remain private to WelMac members (possibly a lot more members than we have now).

Here is what Graeme wrote in his query to me:

> Hi David
>
> I have been able to successfully do a live streaming test this afternoon using Switcher Studio and it would appear hat the version I have does not have a two week trial period attached to it as I have now been playing around with it for longer than that.
>
> I think it would be a good idea to live stream our committee meeting as an unlisted live stream as a test to ensure everything is working OK before we try it out at a meeting. This afternoon I also tested out one of our radio mics with my mixer and I also had my laptop running into my iPad as well and all worked fine.
>
> The only issue I can see is that if we are going to use your computer at the meeting, you will need to install the Switcher Cast app on to your computer https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/switcher-cast/id1238109306?mt=12 <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/switcher-cast/id1238109306?mt=12>, so that the iPad can recognise your computer.
>
> I can bring in all my bits that will be needed for a live test run to the committee meeting.

Followup message:

--
David Empson
dempson at actrix.gen.nz