[welmac-org] Capital Apple archives - updated

David Empson dempson at actrix.gen.nz
Sat Aug 26 07:17:20 BST 2017

Further to my earlier message, I’ve updated the draft index of back issues of Capital Apple:

http://welmac.org.nz/capital_apple/index2

Changes since the first draft:
I copied all the current year’s issues to Backblaze and put them in the table rather than being separate lines in a different format at the top.
The table has better spacing so should be easier to read.
Removed the line at the bottom which said older issues are available on request (we don’t have issues older than March 2004 as PDFs).
Each issue has a tooltip which includes the file size (which was there in the previous incarnation of this page, with just the last 22 issues).
You can compare the old index here: http://welmac.org.nz/capital_apple/index

As per the usual “members only” policy I haven’t copied the current month’s issue to either our web site or Backblaze yet. The plan is that each month when we publish a new issue, I’ll upload the previous month’s issue to Backblaze and update the index by adding another entry in the table.

I’ll give the committee (and others on this list) a couple of days to review the changes and comment. If everyone is happy with this as it stands, I’ll replace the old index file, probably after the Wellington meeting, and we can then delete two years of back issues and save about 25 MB on the web site.

Potentially still to do:

A mechanism to keep track of downloads (via links on this page - someone could just manually construct the link given another one). That’s beyond my current skill set.

Content index of some kind. That’s a lot of work from someone going through all the issues and pulling out the table of contents, perhaps delving slightly deeper into my lead article for major subtopics of possible interest. It may be possible to automate some of this. If someone is interested in tackling this project, I have all my articles as Pages documents or AppleWorks prior to September 2007, totalling about 38 MB, and all the PDFs of back issues, totalling somewhat over 200 MB, which I could give you rather than having to download them all.

--
David Empson
dempson at actrix.gen.nz