[welmac-org] Delayed committee meeting

David Empson dempson at actrix.gen.nz
Tue Aug 8 06:33:37 BST 2017

Hi folks

Andrew and Andrea can’t host us this week, and we have an extra week this month, so my preference is to delay the committee meeting until next Wednesday (16th).

Can everyone please let me know if this suits you. If this week works better for several of us, we can go ahead with a remote meeting tomorrow night, but Andrew will be away from home and expects to have poor coverage.

Don won’t be able to attend via Skype because his older OS is no longer compatible. (We might be able to rig up an alternative method, e.g. I could host a TeamViewer meeting but would have to check Snow Leopard client compatibility; I doubt Don has FaceTime either as it wasn’t included in Snow Leopard - it was available from App Store back then but might not be now because it built into later OS versions.)

Graeme was wanting to attend in person this month to discuss an option he’s found which might allow us to live stream our meetings (via Youtube probably to a closed group of invited members), using an iPad app called Switcher Studio that can capture video via Wi-Fi from other iOS devices (I have two compatible iPod Touches we could use, given suitable mounting equipment), and screen capture from a Mac.

The associated service costs US$25 per month (which I think means “per month in which you use it” as they also have an annual subscription of US$299 which saves a whole $1), but we could do one meeting for free as part of a 14 day free trial, probably doing a test run first. It would be free to those attending the meeting remotely, apart from any associated data costs.

https://www.switcherstudio.com

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/switcher-studio/id908386221?mt=8

Need to find out details like bandwidth requirements.

As sort of a lead in, I remotely attended the end of the Kapiti meeting last night via Skype (on Graeme’s laptop). This might work as a means of having a remote presenter (with an assistant attending the meeting), but I think we’d need better microphone setup at the meeting venue as I couldn’t hear audience questions (Graeme repeated them), and the laptop camera only gave me a partial view of the audience.

We’d need to have a closer look at screen presentation quality as the default setup wasn’t particularly legible (might be sufficient for me to reduce my resolution to match the projector).

--
David Empson
dempson at actrix.gen.nz