[welmac-org] Help Desk

David Empson dempson at actrix.gen.nz
Fri Sep 3 00:43:08 BST 2010

Here are the details for the help desk on Saturday.

Place: Truby King House, 21 Manchester Terrace, near the top of
Manchester St in Melrose (on the hill above the zoo).

Date: Saturday 4 September

Time: 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm. I'll be aiming to be there about 1 pm to
get set up, but other tutors can aim for just before 1:30. Our
booking is officially for half a day (4 hours) and I'd like to be out
by 4:45 pm.

Directions:

http://www.wellington.govt.nz/services/gardens/trubyking/trubyking.html#

See the "View Map" link on the above page and zoom in for a rough idea.

For reference, the zoo is on Roy St, and the zig-zag road going up
the hill is Manchester St. Manchester Terrace is basically a long
driveway, which starts near the top of of Manchester St, just west of
the intersection with Rodrigo Rd and Sutherland Rd and Cres.

The driveway has several exits on the way. Start by following the
first two signs to "Capital House", with a veer right to avoid going
into the property with the overhead sign mentioning Karitane. At the
the leftmost branch. (Don't follow the right branch, which has a
bigger sign mentioning Capital House and its role as a conference
centre.)

The driveway loops around the house and comes back on itself, with
the exit from the middle branch of the same intersection.

The to the house entrance is around the back, opposite the car park
(up a gentle flight of steps onto the verandah).

There is enough space for about five cars to angle park directly
outside the house, so I expect there won't be enough space for
everyone to park there. If the parking is full, the next opton is to
park on Manchester St and walk up the driveway. (You could stop
temporarily at the house to drop off a computer before going back to
find a park.)

The 23 bus (Southgate and Houghton Bay) goes up Manchester St. This
is the closest bus stop:
http://www.metlink.org.nz/stop/7926

Confirmed tutors are:

David Empson
Shane Gordine
Joseph Booth

Jo mentioned he had been asked to attend to help someone, but I don't
know who that person was, so we may have another student I don't know
about?

Students who can double as tutors if required:

Trevor Nixon
Wai Loong Tham

Tutors who said they are available if required. I'd like one more
tutor, so if either of you are able to make it that would be great.

John Shrapnell
Dennis Hamblin

(Graeme has another event he would like to attend, so we can manage
without him.)

We expect to have the Woosh modem set up with a wireless network for
attendees. I'll bring my other networking equipment but we may be
able to manage on wireless alone.

I'm bringing cups, tea, coffee, milk, biscuits, etc. (Probably won't
have time to collect the WelMac stuff from Tony, so I'll bring items
from my own stock or buy them on the way.)

Please note that Truby King House has waxed floors which scratch
easily, so don't drag anything. I'll be emphasising this again as we
are setting up and as people arrive. If we damage the floors we need
to supply the elbow grease to reapply the wax.

I'll bring our fold-up trestle table, and we'll need to arrange a
couple of other tables at the venue.

I'll be collecting Shane from Rongotai on the way, and will return
via Newtown to pick up Wai Loong from outside the Newtown mall as
last time. Intended timeframe is to collect Shane about 12:30 pm and
Wai Loong about 12:45 pm.

Here is a summary of the student details.

Suzanne Townsend
MacBook

>I would like to learn: -
>how to set up accounts for other family members
>how to set up ical and co-ordinate with family & friends
>how to put friends into my address book
>how to use iTunes

Wai Loong Tham
Not bringing a computer

Interested in having a closer look at David's iPad and other gadgets
from the meeting, so I'll be bringing them too.

Trevor Nixon
iMac

Has a few technical issues to sort out on his computer.

Sharyn Haigh
Has an iMac, but won't be able to bring it.

General Mac basics overview wanted, more in depth than we have been
able to cover at the Mac Basics meeting. She uses Windows at work but
is still getting to grips with differences in the way the Mac
operates. (If I can locate it, I'll bring the "Mac for Windows users"
DVD from the library, so she can borrow it.)

Jane Martin
iMac

Has upgraded to Snow Leopard and now having problems with a networked
Canon printer/scanner. I've helped Jane before and am somewhat
familiar with her setup at home, so probably best if I discuss this
with her. I don't think we'll be able to address this issue at the
help desk. Any tutor can probably assist with her other questions:

>Would also appreciate help/advice with browers e.g. google chrome, Firefox
>
>If time also appreciate iphoto help.  Actually probably many areas
>where help would be good for me!!

Dr Margaret Gordon
MacBook Pro

>*Setting up my time machine while advice/help is at hand if needed.
>*Discussing partitioning and the alternative you mentioned at the
>last Welmac meeting
>*Asking a few questions about a problem I am having in getting
>driver software working for my Epson Stylus 740 printer
>	which is not on the Snow Leopard list
>*Asking before I do likewise whether you have installed the latest
>software update (just out - at least for MacBook Pro, which is what
>I have). If this included the new multitouch and trackpad features,
>have you had any problems with the multitouch update? Some have
>reported problems with the multitouch after upgrading. My MacBook
>Pro's date and 2.66 GHz rating does not coincide with any model on
>Apple's list, though obviously I received a notice of the update so
>am included in the target group.

I expect I'll be answering most of Margaret's questions.

Cheers
--
David Empson
dempson at actrix.gen.nz
Snail mail: P.O. Box 27-103, Wellington 6141, New Zealand